Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Community Service - Remember Quality

Do you remember when you could play baseball in the street and the worst thing that could happen was a fly ball hitting Mr. Brumgarter's picture window? This week, I listened to a group of officers talk to young kids about how to be safe in their community, and they recommended they have an adult with them at all times when playing out in the community.

I'm appalled that our children must constantly worry about having an adult with them to be safe.

Whatever happened to being safe outside your own locked doors? Isn't there any place our children can play and feel safe?

At the end of my street, there's a park where my kids (now all teens and above) often go to play ball and hang out. The local police department has issued a warning that all kids should hang out in groups of two or more, to be safe. So, my boys take groups of friends to the ball field or park at the end of the street. Do I feel they're safe?

Yes, because the first house beside the park belongs to friends of mine who would not only call the police but most likely would take care of any problems before the police arrived. I feel confident enough of this that I personally have no problem walking to the park alone, even at night, sometimes. It's a nice walk from my house, and I enjoy the night air.

Recently, our police department has changed. Almost every officer is new in town, with few exceptions. What formerly was a tight knit group of people who were loved by the community, and well known in the community, is now a group of strangers not recognized. The difference is community distrust. Not only do the police officers distrust the community, but the community doesn't trust law enforcement.

Living in fear of my local community services isn't my idea of a quality life. I want more. I require more. And, I'm determined to have more. As a citizen in this community, I'm definitely focused on bringing back the safety and security, not to mention FREEDOM that I felt in my community as a child. I want my life back. How about you?

Quality of life means we're willing to Take Charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Long As There Are Politicians, Celebrities and Men With Egos

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~Eleanor Roosevelt Over the years, there've been people who attempted t...