Friday, March 27, 2009

Washed up on the Beaches of Kansas

You may think the world is your oyster, but when people start yakking about the Beaches of Kansas, you've gotta wonder where they're coming from. Last fall, N.T. Betz spoke at the Fall into Publishing Conference about the thrills of beating dinosaur bones out of the Great Plains, referencing the Oceans of Kansas. Little did I know it would inspire much of the winter writing programs in which I participated.

This morning, when I awakened to a raging blizzard, my email account was filled to the brim with tributes to the snow. Except for one...

Don Buck of Hasty, Colorado sent a quick message referencing the breeze in the Palms, sunny bright morning, and the easy of plucking a fresh pineapple for breakfast outside his home. Balmy days and sea gulls edged their way into the day and the beaches of Kansas sprang forth. Who knew a blizzard on the prairie could render such delightful thoughts of sand, flip flops and bikini clad figures playing in the sun?

Coconut Palms swaying in the breeze

I gazed out the window at snow blowing from the top of the house next door, filling up my yard with drifts tall enough to bury a pine tree, and wondered if there's truly a warm corner of the planet at this very moment? I'm sure there is, but right now, at my house the shivers indicate chilling breezes, cold floors, snow blowing at the windows, and life in a Colorado winter.

So, the question is, what do you do on a cold snowy Colorado day?

How about twitter? Follow me at http://twitter.com/janverhoeff

It's fun, it's easy, and there's a ton of people on there, yakking about the weather.

1 comment:

  1. "I love the gentleness of Nature this season," my husband wrote a friend today. These two must be related...you think?

    Nice post Jan!

    MBB
    www.trailsofnature.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

As Long As There Are Politicians, Celebrities and Men With Egos

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~Eleanor Roosevelt Over the years, there've been people who attempted t...