Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Global Warming or Merely the Coming of the Next Season?

A trio of Crocus It's March! In case you haven't noticed as you scoop through layers of snow and ice in some parts of the country, the rest of us have been basking in the warmth of an unusually tepid spring. I toy with the concept of gardening, about this time of year, dancing through the early mornings with a thought of raising flowers again, or wondering if they're going to spring forth in all their industrious beauty, as they have in years past and know that I probably don't have to do anything for the bulbs that have lain dormant for the past many winters. Each spring, they rally and surface just in the nick of time, administering their love and joy of abundant spring weather. But what about the drought?

In my nearly fifty years of living (it's funny how I enjoy the sound of that), I have learned that drought follows the floods of moisture and time settles most of the dust that rages across the Colorado prairies. Though we tend to experience more drought here, than rain, the reality is, this is where we live. Drought is part of that existence, because that's what happens on the Great Plains. You don't expect blizzards and gully washers in the Sahara desert, so why would you expect them in the great plains? In reality, those of us who live here have become accustomed to the ebb and flow of seasons. We adjust and enjoy the passing of time, replete in the promise of the next season. April Tulip in my Garden

I wonder however, at the concept of Global Warming. Many of the people who have determined that our earth is warming beyond natural temperatures have lived on the planet longer than I. So, do they honestly believe the natural rise and fall of temperatures indicates global warming? Or.. And this is what I believe more likely, are they persistently spouting rhetoric to draw attention and build wealth? The dance of nature offers so much, can you imagine living in fear of nature and using that fear to grow wealth on the faces of other people's fears? The gravity of such an act causes me to wonder about human nature.

I believe living green is a good policy and I'm even seriously considerate of the size of my foot print. However, I'm also acutely aware of the policy of do as I say, not as I do, of which Al Gore and his component rookies participate. Mr. Gore doesn't travel cheap, and his home is a far cry from modest. Has his footprint gotten too big for his britches? Is he, perhaps, crying wolf a bit too loudly while continuing to play in the fire?

The changing of the season makes for happiness, spouting a breath of fresh air, warmth aside, the season coming promises great abundance. I'll be enjoying it.

Please leave a comment and tell me what you think of our strange weather patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Long As There Are Politicians, Celebrities and Men With Egos

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~Eleanor Roosevelt Over the years, there've been people who attempted t...