Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Outside the circle

Living with grown children sometimes means giving up the dreams one might have had for retirement. Travel isn't in my near future, and that's okay. I traveled in my youth, and I've traveled enough to know that it isn't where you are but who you're with that matters. The trips across country meant a lot to me, but only because I had family there to share the sunlight, the storms and the world away from home.

But there will come a time when all my children will fly away, like eagles soaring high in the sky achieving heights of their very own, and that time may be coming sooner than I ever wanted to admit. Is it okay?

Am I okay with the idea of living alone?

A Tea Party with Friends

Yes. I'm okay with the drive across country, stopping at a vintage store, an ice cream shop, or a road side park and visiting friends and family occasionally along the way. Short visits. I don't want to stay too long. I'd rather take them out for lunch and be on my way. Maybe stopping for the night in a roadside inn where I can enjoy the sound of morning birds,

I'm looking forward to having a cup of tea with friends and knowing the cookies I bought for the event are still in the pantry. But I'll secretly miss the Grandchildren who would normally have eaten them all up.

I'll remember occasionally the moments when I complained about missing the ability to have a life of my own, while I'm out with friends, chasing rainbows and dreaming of fun things to do. But, on those nights when I have nothing to do, I'll wish my grandchildren were nearby to share a movie or an evening tea party - where we could eat up those cookies.

I'll be living outside the circle, just a ways on the other side of family life, out there, where Mom's live when life isn't quite as full as it was... back then, inside the circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Long As There Are Politicians, Celebrities and Men With Egos

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~Eleanor Roosevelt Over the years, there've been people who attempted t...