Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Writing with Purpose - The Joy of Words from a Journaling Mom

Journaling started for me about the time I learned to hold a pen. Those first spiral notebooks in the early sixties held my dreams, my sketches, and my paper-doll creations. Did you know if you draw the face above the top line, there's no blue lines across their anatomy? I could cover up the rest of the blue lines with striped clothing. Long sleeves if their arms hung down, or their arms rested between the lines horizontally. (Just in case you ever need to draw paper-dolls on lined paper.)

And, everyone knows, paper-dolls do "Pharaoh, Pharaoh" with hand motions in long sleeve striped body suits with colorful skirts.

But, you're probably wondering what that has to do with YOU. And you'd be right. There should be some use of this information for you as a Mom, reading my blog. Definitely, keep reading.

Probably the biggest issue I've had with my boys is getting them to WRITE. As a home school mom, I've struggled with a few "assignments", because kids just don't like assignments, but none so much as getting them to write. My oldest daughter started writing about the age of seven and hasn't really stopped yet. She's a stellar marketer, and absolutely stunning in her sales position.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A Marketing Friend has had an accident and can use our prayers, see Silver Linings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My next daughter didn't like writing "the usual things" but she loved blogging, writing in her forums, and sharing her opinions on such things as political candidates, teen pregnancy, abortion, parenting and education. She's currently using her many skills for work and promotion of her own business.

My oldest son hates writing, but he's creating a video game with characters that speak using a historical foundation. He's having to research his characters and the time frame to make them historically correct, and his writing skills are improving dramatically.

My youngest son is a published author working on more books. (He's only fourteen.)

If you're a home school mom, or even if you're not. These suggestions may come in handy for encouraging your children to write more. Paper-doll designs could come back eventually, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Long As There Are Politicians, Celebrities and Men With Egos

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~Eleanor Roosevelt Over the years, there've been people who attempted t...