Thursday, March 5, 2009

Holy Moly He Said It!!!

My son, the writer kind of son, who has been editing Twilight as he reads it, just spoke the words every parent deigns to hear. "Mom, it's true, the movie isn't nearly as good as the book." Of course, the book has all ready been published, so it probably matters not one whit that he thinks she used the word "and" way more than necessary. Imagine a 14 year old who recognizes mal-formed sentence structure? Or a kid, any where in the universe, who understands that -ly words are merely flecks of universal dust in the whole of planetary justice.

I could write a whole book on -ly words alone, of course, with the help of my good buddy and friend, Oris George, who abhors them even more than he dislikes pink and cute.

Of course, you realize how important this is that my son is reading a book as thick and discriminate as Twilight, in the first place. He should be, as all tweens should be, playing video games with no earthly awareness that books exist. However, it's important to note in this most sacred of all moments that this particular tween is home educated. You know, he's on the EDGE of, delinquent, verging near the site of hysterically unsocialized and contaminated by parental impressionism. Never mind the fact that he's got a myspace page, a facebook page, and his own blog, not to mention numerous friends whom he hangs with whenever he has the opportunity. And (I'm certain he'd comment on the use of that conjunction, as well), he's already a published author with another book in progress.

Tuesday night, my older son and I attended a meeting of Constitution stuff, it's called a class of some kind and we both get a real thrill out of attending the class. He, because it's about the constitution, politics, war, and presidents who didn't do what they were supposed to do. Me, because I'm studying criminal justice and the two topics just fit together like all-bran and diapers, and nobody cares which one came first.

During the discussion Tuesday night we got around to talking about Federalism, the Federal Reserve and all the guck that came along with President Teddy and his attempt to prove himself dictator of the nation by running for term number four. (I say, thank God for term limits.) Sean's bit of wisdom had a room full of men nearly speachless. For a 15 year old (home educated) kidlet to spark that much fire into a conversation takes knowledge. He rarely holds back. He snaps out that information as if he knows what he's talking about, confidently and sure of himself. And, he's right on the money (or in the case of Federal Reserve Notes, Gold.)

So, I've nearly broken my arm this week patting myself on the back for raising such fine and upstanding young men... and my daughter calls.

Mom, I've got a problem. (Does anyone besides me see the Enterprise burning?) She's 23 and quite contentedly self-confident enough to get herself out of most any problem a young woman might find herself in, except for this one. "I can't get the key out of my ignition."

"Jiggle it."

"Mom!!! You think, I didn't try that before I called you?"

"Humor me. Jiggle it." So, she does (I heard the keyring rattling).

"Nothing."

"Okay, jiggle it, turn the car on, turn it back to lock and then try to pull it out." She tries.

"Nothing."

"Okay, push it in, jiggle it and follow those steps in reverse." I suggest, "are you sitting in the seat?"

"Yes. Nothing."

"Take it to the nearest dealership and have them check it, you probably need an ignition switch."

"Mom, I have work to do."

"I know."

"Okay."

So, she takes her car to the dealership and they reach in, pull the key out, put it back in and jiggle it, pull it out, put it in, pull it out, and it's all working fine.

"Mom, you're not going to believe it." She's on the phone again.

"It works fine."

"How did you know?"

"It always happens. Get back to work before you get fired!"

It's page 37 of Twilight and my son is still counting "ands" in the book. "Mom, I loved the movie, and this writer is really good --- well, except for the fact that every other word practically is the word AND or has an -ly on it." There's a long slow sigh and I'm not sure what he's going to say next... "I really do like the book better than the movie, you're right. I should read more books."

Holy Moly, He said it!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good job Kenton! Aren't you glad you have a writer-Mom?

    Good job Jan!

    Mbb

    ReplyDelete

As Long As There Are Politicians, Celebrities and Men With Egos

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~Eleanor Roosevelt Over the years, there've been people who attempted t...